Proper Clothing Care – General Tips
- Use caution in storing clothes. In order for them to retain their shape and freshness, the clothing needs some breathing room. Never hang sweaters over a hanger as they can be stretched out of shape. Instead, store them folded. Provide time for a wet or damp coat to dry before it is hung in the closet.
- Remove the cleaner’s bags before hanging clothes to allow for air. If you are concerned about dust, cut enough of the bag to just cover the shoulder and allow the remainder of the garment access to air.
- Use proper hanging techniques. Jackets should be unbuttoned on a wishbone hanger and not a wire one. Make sure that all heavy or bulky items are out of the garment so it retains its shape.
- Use gentle brushing to keep dirt from settling into the fabric.
- Do not iron dirty or stained clothes to prevent setting of stains.
- If clothes need to be stored with mothballs, do not let them contact the clothes. Place the mothballs in a separate cloth or paper bag.
- Allow time to dry before getting dressed when applying deodorants or other scents to the body. If wearing silk, use underarm shields to prevent stains.
- Protect clothing from excess sunlight that can cause fading.
If you have a question about a specific type of stain or issue with your garment, please contact us before playing the stain guessing game!